When School Ate My Life.

At some point, I decided I wanted to be done with school as soon as possible.

At another point, I decided it would only be one more academic year.

At a last point, I decided I needed to be done in 2013.

And where am I now?

I decided, for the sake of hopefully not burning out, that I could bust out one more semester. But that had to be it. I love my college experience and my psychology major but I have bigger plans outside of being a college student. I want to start living my life. I’ve been better at doing that in the past year or so with the help of women in the blog world and just trying to live in the moment.

My other ‘a-ha’ moment came to me this weekend – I don’t think I like college. Since day one, I’ve had stress underlying every semester. No matter how much I try to find classes I could fall in love with or make the “perfect schedule”, it hasn’t worked out. For me, I just want to live. That is my top priority for 2014. By living, I have to find my place in the working world, right?

aa15b03239f8b19a791a3c3abebe0922(from my Pinterest)

As for now, I’m just trying to survive.

I have so much I want to blog about – I’ve actually been remembering to take photos to use in possible posts! A more consistent schedule will *hopefully* be happening since I’m down to one job and school. Yes, I sadly had to leave my office assistant job at Glensheen to focus more on my studies and find some downtime for myself. This past week was the first week without those shifts, so I was adapting to sleeping in and getting caught up on some coursework.

Q for you!

+ What was the hardest part of your college experience?

+ Did you end up taking a break after your undergrad?

22 thoughts on “When School Ate My Life.

1. Florence says:

Thank you for such an honest post. THIS is why I joined the blogging community…I knew I couldn’t be the only girl out there who just didn’t feel college was a good fit. The hardest part for me is the constant pressure to drink, the lack of a real schedule, so many unknowns, and not being able to cook my own food (meal plans are pretty rigid). I often feel like I just want to enter the real world already, and I feel guilty for that because these are “supposed” to be the glory years. I’m a psych minor so I know what you mean about the stress (philosophy major). A lot of days I wish I had a career, wasn’t living in a dorm, and could bring my dog.

• Kelsey says:

We can definitely relate on our reasonings for joining this amazing community – I have never felt so understood, even as cheesy as it sounds. And I have disliked my experience for those same reasons. I’m ready for my real world experience, which starts in less than 24 hours. Finals are almost done!

• Kelsey says:

Thanks dear! Hoping to have it pick up a little once the semester is done! And I can’t wait to see what you do for yourself; you have such great dreams and I hope you continue to follow them!

2. Davida @The Healthy Maven says:

So this comment might be com in the game but I hope it’s still helpful. I had a love-hate relationship with college. My experience was kind of up and down and truth me told I couldn’t get out of there faster. I definitely had my fair share of fun but I can easily let stress get to me, and get to me it did. BUT if I could turn back time I would have taken longer to graduate. I literally jumped from undergrad to working in NYC and while I had the most amazing experience I never really gave myself some time off to explore other interests besides what I studied in college (which was psychology too!). I have no regrets but I do think my life may have gone in a different direction had I taken some time. But such is life :)

Also this is super random, but my bf is from Minneapolis and every year we drive up to the North Shore for Christmas. And without fail we stop in duluth and have the best sandwiches I have EVER eaten at Amazing Grace Bakery. I’m sure you know it, or maybe you don’t? But just wanted to say I have some awesome eating memories in Duluth :)

• Kelsey says:

I think I have a love-hate relationship too. Even though I’m not officially done, I do have things that I wish I could go back and change! I’m happy that I am allowing myself a year to explore and look into my interests. Funny how we both are studying psychology; I’m hoping to become a health coach!
      AND OH YES, I know “the Grace” (hometown slang!). They have the best sandwiches and all of their bakery items are amazing. If you ever need new food recommendations when you drive up, let me know!

3. Jan @ Sprouts n Squats says:

For me the hardest part of university was that I did it full time at the same time as doing a full time job << Crazy I know. But I'd done 1 Semester of Uni when I was 19 and then dropped out and went and did Recruitment and other jobs for a whilst and then realized to really change careers to what I wanted I'd have to go back and finish a full degree. If I can give you any advice it is to hang in there for as long as you can as it does get harder to go back to once you leave and seriously when you get to your last semester, that one is going to fly by so much quicker than all the others!

And yes definitely take a break when you are done with it all, you deserve it :)

4. Luv What You Do says:

The hardest thing about college was probably fitting into my jeans : ) After I got that figured out, the rest was pretty fun! I started grad school 2 weeks after undergrad. There are positives and negatives of that but in the end I was happy to be done!

5. IHeartVegetables says:

I graduated from college when I was 20, because I felt the same way. I had stuff I wanted to do AFTER college and I wasn’t really into the “college life” very much. I can totally relate to what you’re going through!

6. Lib says:

Yes I faced a similar feeling when I was in college but unfortunately did not complete my Business Degree. My mind was telling me to keep going but my heart was just not in it. I should have taken a break but instead I kept going and failed.
    We all think differently so I know how hard some choices can be :)

• Kelsey says:

I’m going to be out in about two months – I think I need to start a countdown! And thank you for your support… I know that moment is going to be amazing.

7. IHeartVegetables says:

So I went into my third year of college thinking I’d have a fourth year, since I wanted to double major. But then lots of complications meant that dropping my second major would let me graduate a year early… so that’s what I did, but it came so fast! I went from thinking I had like 18 months of college left, to only having 9 months!

• Kelsey says:

I was the same way! I thought I had a year + a semester left. When I met with my advisor, she was like, “what are you doing?! You could be done in the FALL!” I went that route right away. Yes, there are some classes I wish I could have taken but I’m ready for something “new”; I’m pretty burnt out and could use some time away from the books. =) I cannot WAIT to see what next year has in store for me!

8. James says:

I went straight from undergrad to job mode. The biggest mistake I made with college is that I didn’t enjoy it enough. I was soooo focused on getting perfect grades and starting my career that I didn’t take enough time to grab coffee with friends, go to basketball games, basically just enjoy the campus. Trying to relax is definitely easier said done. Three years out of college and I still am working on trying to ‘live it the moment’. Its good that you have this perspective now! :)

• Kelsey says:

I think I’ve enjoyed my experience with college, even though I didn’t do the “normal” college activities. I am walking away with some great friends, so I think it worked out! And thank you!

9. Mandie Marie @ The Fruitful Turtle says:

I love this post!
    I took a 3 year break after my undergrad degree and I’m finally going back…I was never much of a school person, but I think it was because I didn’t like what I was studying. Now I’m back, studying what I love, and just taking it slow…I still want to enjoy my time with friends, family and the classes without getting overwhelmed again…You’re so close, hang in there :)

• Kelsey says:

I love hearing from people who have taken breaks – and LOVE the fact that they did. I fall into the same place as you… I know once I find my niche in the world, it will be easy to further my education. Right now, it just feels like I’m in it to finish (if that makes ANY sense…haha). It’s probably not as bad I am making it seem – but once your overwhelmed + stressed, it doesn’t feel like it goes away until the end of the semester… =)

10. Laura Likes Design says:

Okay, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one! So many of my friends are still talking about how great college was and I was not a fan. I think the hardest part of my college experience was that I pushed myself way too hard. I rarely went to social events on campus and in reality, spent most of my free time in the design lab. sure, I learned a lot, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t been so hard on myself to study like crazy and spend all my time working on projects.

You’re SO close to being done though–hang in there! When I was in my senior semester, I just kept telling myself to make it to Thanksgiving…because after that, I knew it would fly by with the holidays, end of the semester shenanigans, etc.

• Kelsey says:

I think it’s important to follow what you think is best for yourself and what you can handle at the same time. =] I’m planning to find a higher paying job (hopefully!) and just relax through life a little.